CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Can't Believe He is Here-A Tiny Wish Come True

I was expecting that my little guy would have come at 38 weeks-just like my mom and cousin did. However, I could not have asked for better timing. I think I had been having mild contractions and back labor for a few days before my due date. I actually thought I was going into labor at 37 weeks but he dropped and I stayed dialated to a 1 for several weeks. I tried to "induce" him to come before court but then stopped. lol. Then I picked back up with the walking, rocking, bouncing on an exercise ball, and stretching after we got the court situation worked out. Little did I know that Saturday, December 5th would be our last night as a family of three. My mom had offered to keep Little Angel but I was totally expecting he would not come on his due date but would have to be induced two days later. Well when I got up to take care of the dogs and eat a bite, I used Little Angel's bathroom to go the the bathroom at 9:45 Sunday morning of December 6th low and behold my water broke. I did not realize that is what happened until I came into our bathroom and I had to go more and it was clear. (sorry tmi. lol) I said to my husband, "I think it is time" There was no doubting that is what happened because it kept coming in the shower and while I was trying to get dressed. I called the hospital and let them know that it has indeed broken but that there was no signs of distress-it was clear and not foul smelling. The nurse said to come on in but since I was only having mild contractions I took my time getting ready. I put on my makeup (I had been sleeping in water proof makeup for weeks. lol) and straightened my hair because it stay in place longer that way. I packed my husband some snacks and drinks, made sure Little Angel had extra clothes and snacks for school. I had had my bags packed so all I had to add was my pillows and toiletries. We left our house around eleven and got to the hospital around eleven twenty. I could kind of feel the contractions getting stronger but still very manageable. I was amazed at how relaxed we both were-well except my husband was pretending to be frantic ;) The parking lot was empty so we had front row parking and walked right in. I signed the papers calmly after annoucing I was in labor-my water had broken. lol. So we proceeded calmly to the hospital room where I took my time getting into my gown. The nurse put in my IV and I was only allowed ice chips. So I made it all day on a whole grain waffle with pb and some milk, oh and a miniature mt dew :) I never did get hungry-just thirsty. I was too excited about meeting my little man-still in disbelief at how calm the process was. When they hooked my up to check heartbeat and contractions they said I was beating out the band. The doctor came in and said we would get bored sitting around so I should get up and move around. I did not want to walk the halls in a hospital gown but opted to sit in a rocking chair and watch tv. My husband went to Borders to get some reading material and to get some lunch. They started giving me just a little Pitocin around 2 or 3. My mom and Little Angel came by after church and just in time. I was starting to get uncomfortable but held a straight face while they visited. Little Angel brought me some magazines and wanted to bring me a special drink-bless her heart. After they left I kept rocking through the contractions but they were coming harder and faster. The nurse said my body was working very well by itself! I was proud I could make it that far but was ready when she told me "let get you back in bed and call for the epidural" The process was not so bad in itself-I did jump when he pricked me but the worst part was the contraction I was feeling in the middle of him inserting. I was worried when I still was feeling uncomfortable but relieved when I did not after ten minutes. So they cranked up the Pitocin and I prepared for the ride. lol. It progressed my labor pretty quickly. I started pushing before seven but he did not come until 9:45. It was hard to push when I could not feel anything. lol. They all kept saying to push harder and quite using my legs. What did they think I was doing?! I wanted to meet him too! They told me to get mad at him. I replied, "I can't get mad at him" They were prepping me for a C-section because I was getting a fever. But once they backed down the drugs I could feel to push and finally got him out. Apparently he was right there for awhile. They kept saying, "He is almost here-just push harder!" Well I finally got him out-almost exactly twelve hours after my water broke. So he was born on his due date. in about twelve hours! I am still in shock at how it went.

My nurses were wonderful. W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L! They helped me through the not so glamorous parts of labor and I did not feel a bit embarassed. My recovery nurse went far and beyond the call of duty and man did I appreciate her bed side manner.

I have been amazed at how I have popped back from this. I did not have my husband pick up my pain medication because I was not feeling any pain-thank goodness. I could feel swelling but pain was very dull. My biggest problem-NOT feeling bad enough to sit down and rest. lol. I was up and moving. I was getting a good amount of sleep so I was not wanting to go back to bed after 9:30 or 10. I was having to wake my little guy up to eat. I definitely cannot complain. I did have some dull back pain and dizziness. My mom said I was pale so I got some iron supplements. After making myself sit back more I am feeling back to my normal self. My husband said that I had a lot of fluid retention because after he was born my feet went back down and apparently my hips did too. lol. So I have stretch marks to prove I was pregnant but I am amazed that I almost forget I was pregnant. lol.

Well, the little guy is waking up so I think we will go watch a movie and eat :)

0 comments: